Best things about working at True Link
We are a social-mission YC-backed company solving very difficult problems in a massive space. In a typical year, millions of seniors lose more than $36 billion to fraud and financial entrapment. We’re producing a real, tangible product in a technically interesting way, and it’s an honor to wake up in the morning knowing that we’re having this kind of impact on our customers’ lives.
The team is unbelievable, we’re helping people every day, the problems are hard, and the solutions are creative. We’re well funded and stable but there is still a lot of room for growth. Attractive cash + equity compensation plus health benefits. In general, we hire the person, not the role, so if you’re great at something and you think we might need you, drop us a line.
You’ll help lead the development of our rails-stack world-facing site’s interface. It’s a cardholder website (think online banking) designed to be friendly, simple, usable, and not terrible in the way every other online banking experience is. It also is the interface to customize our insanely powerful card processing and fraud detection system. To our knowledge it’s the first ever consumer-facing interface to a fraud detection system.
There’s a lot of abstract thinking in presenting these concepts to the user. The technology is complex under the hood – think about Twilio or Stripe as comparable. We’re building a simple client for a simple API that wraps an extremely complex integration with a legacy system. Twilio didn’t make the SMS system simple, they wrote powerful software that wraps the complexity.
We’re offering a competitive salary and benefits, a meaningful equity stake, lunches & snacks, and the opportunity to work with a talented, mission-driven team.
We’re looking for someone who:
• Believes in True Link’s social mission
• Is passionate about simplicity but comfortable with complexity
• Has a good eye for design
• Java and AWS experience is a plus – we do processing and accounting in Java and can’t host on Heroku for security reasons
Because of the stage of the company we unfortunately cannot consider candidates with minimal experience (e.g. recent dev bootcamp graduates). We need people that have professional experience working as an engineer. We are also only looking to make an in-house, full-time hire here in San Francisco and cannot support part-time, remote, or contract work at this time.
You will own True Link’s highly performant, scalable transaction processing system. Processing card transactions is hard because you’re dealing with esoteric encodings, you have to never miss anything, and you have a fifth of a second or so to respond. That means you’re doing clever local read slaves because light can’t cross the country in time to load the right stuff out of the database. It also means you’re using futures to start database loads and do the processing you can in the meantime, and then timing out and responding if your database response doesn’t come in time to act on it.
We’re looking for a senior Java engineer. You need to be conversant with Java socket-based servers in a high-performance environment. You’ll be responsible for the design, enhancement, and implementation of a high-availability set of distributed servers with millisecond-level performance requirements. Extensive experience with designing and implementing security, reliable systems, and monitoring are musts. You should be comfortable getting down to byte-level in protocols, and know how to test and tune Java applications.
The technology is complex and this role has substantial ownership of technical strategy and the associated execution. We’re early enough that you’ll have a meaningful equity stake and, at the same time, we’re well funded. The opportunity also comes with a competitive salary and benefits, lunches & snacks, and the opportunity to work with a talented, mission-driven team.
• You have 5+ years of programming experience in Java.
• You’re familiar with and comfortable in Java 1.7 and up.
• You’re comfortable working with SQL databases.
• You’re a good person who cares about the social mission of the company.
• You’re familiar with software development for financial services.
• You have experience with ISO 8583 messages.
• You have distributed systems experience.
You will ensure that our customers have an effective and delightful experience by identifying problems, designing solutions, and ensuring that we consistently deliver the quality that our customers expect.
• Effectively solve customer problems via phone and email
• Identify, document, and follow up with engineers on product bugs and features
• Advocate for customers by identifying trends in issues and suggesting improvements to processes, policies, and products
• Craft responsive customer communications and product marketing
• Collaborate with members of other teams and be a resource to teammates
• Conduct analysis on customer behavior to improve customer experience
• Manage quality assurance processes to ensure that customer needs are being met by product improvements
• This is a startup! You can invest in whatever excites you – social media, content, operations, product, design, you name it
• A desire to build something that changes people’s lives for the betterInterest in learning from feedback and dedication to improving your skills
• Strong organizational, analytical, written and verbal communication skills
• The ability to quickly adapt to new situations and think on your feet
• Empathy for customers and colleagues
• Enthusiasm for learning to use new tools and technologies
• A desire to help people and improve the customer experience
• We’re offering a competitive salary and benefits, a meaningful equity stake, lunches & snacks, and the opportunity to work with a talented, mission-driven team.